For my first attempt at making cake pops, I have to say I'm pretty proud of the gavel shaped cake pops I made for a friend's recent subpoena themed law school graduation party. This fun dessert coordinated perfectly with all of my other graduation law school subpoena party supplies and was the highlight of my party table. Most of the effort went into decorating the pops - check out how I made it work!
I used this simple cake pop recipe from Bakerella to get started. After I mixed the ingredients and cooled the batter, I molded each pop into the shape of a rough gavel and stuck a cake pop stick into each one. I stuck them into a piece of foam I painted red and refrigerated them again before decorating. Meanwhile, I melted chocolate in the microwave (add a teaspoon of veggie oil and melt for 30 seconds at a time), and then dipped each gavel in the chocolate.
I refrigerated the pops one more time before decorating each one with some gold details. I just used a small paintbrush and some of this food grade decorating dust - I found it at my local cake supply store. Don't you love how they turned out! Along with my gavel pops, I came up with a few more dessert ideas that family and friends loved!
5 More Dessert Ideas for a Law School Graduation Party:
- Personalized Graduation Law School Subpoena Theme Candy Bar wrappers turn your favorite dessert into an instant favor! I displayed these tasty treats on a tray on my law school theme party table. They were a huge hit with the grad as well as my guests!
- The grad won't "object" to a fun cake decorated to look like law school books! Use a box mix to make a 9x13 cake and decorate with brown frosting. Pipe royal icing for the "book's" title, like "Constitutional Law" or "Trust and Estates".
- For a fun display idea, decorate cupcakes in the grad's school colors and balance them on "scales of justice". See if you can dig up a set of scales at an antique or thrift store - it will quickly become the centerpiece of your themed dessert table!
- I also made these easy mini peanut butter cup graduation cap snacks for guests to grab! All I did was glue a 1.5" x 1.5" paper square and ribbon to the top of each cup. I chose red to match the "subpoena" theme, but they would also look great in the grad's school colors.
- Fill a cello bag with your favorite homemade cookies - chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, or macadamia nut! Attach a note like this one, "Aaron is one smart cookie! He graduated from Duke Law School!"
Go with one or more of these dessert ideas and your graduation party is sure to be a hit! Check out more of my law school party ideas for decorating, menu and invitation inspiration: