Ombre is in! So I decided to make some blue ombre rice krispie treats for my cousin’s tenth milestone birthday party. This dessert was a favorite with the kids and also was one of several fun milestone birthday party ideas we had for a blue theme party table.
I lined up the rice krispies on a white platter – lookin’ sharp! And I refilled the tray as the party went on. Follow my easy tutorial on how to make these fun birthday desserts, and take a look at our other kids birthday party ideas for more inspiration!
- Large cookie tray
- Wax paper
- Cooking spray
- Rolling pin
- 3 batches of Rice Krispie Treats (click to see the classic recipe)
- Food coloring or food gel (any color, I used blue!)
- Make three separate batches of Rice Krispie Treats according to the directions on the Rice Krispie website.
- As you are mixing in the marshmallows for each batch, add in food coloring/food gel. Make the first batch the darkest, and then add half as much food coloring to the next batch. Do not add any food coloring to the final batch.
- To layer the Rice Krispie Treats, first line a large cookie tray with wax paper.
- Then, spread the darkest layer of Rice Krispies on the tray with a spatula that has been coated with cooking spray. Use a rolling pin (also coated with cooking spray) to squish the layer down.
- Set the layer off to the side to harden. Repeat this process the remaining two layers.
- Combine all three layers by flipping the second layer onto the first layer and rolling them together. Then, flip the third layer onto the first/second layer and roll once more.
- Cut the rice krispies into squares with a knife sprayed with cooking spray and serve to hungry guests!
Have fun planning your milestone birthday party, and check out more posts on this blue theme party table here: