If you need Halloween House Party Ideas, than these DIY chains are perfect decorations to hang on mantles, in doorways, and on party tables. Chains are very expensive at party stores, and usually they are just made of cheap plastic. I figured I could do a much better job making my own. All I needed was some 1” black pipe insulation, hot glue, and time. Follow my easy tutorial below to learn how, and make sure to check out our Custom Halloween Invitations, Party Favors and Decorations so you can finish decorating your Halloween bash!
- 1" 6-foot tube of black pipe insulation (I used one tube per 6-7 foot chain.)
- Hot glue
- Hot glue gun
- Serrated knife
- Cutting board
- On a cutting board, use a serrated knife to cut the pipe insulation into 1" discs. There should already be a long slit down the side of the tube, so you won't have to cut that to link the discs together.
- Squeeze a dime-sized dollop of hot glue on the end of each disc and "link" them together.
- Make sure to hold the ends together for about 15-30 seconds to allow the glue to thoroughly dry.
- Continue linking until you have 6-7 feet of chain. It took me 2-3 hours to do each one. (Granted, I was watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix the entire time.)
The chains were definitely well worth it! Even though they took time to make, the materials were super cheap, and this decoration will last for years to come! Plus, they're really light weight, so it's easy to hang them pretty much everywhere.
Check out a bunch of our other Halloween Party Ideas over at Party411.com for more decorating inspiration, too: