The party table I made for a Laboratory Theme Halloween Party was a huge hit with family and friends. They loved the homemade brain cupcakes, personalized Halloween Lab Water Bottle Labels, and a mad scientist bubbling beaker centerpiece.
Possibly, one of the overlooked details of the table was the eye-popping DIY paper garlands I hung as the backdrop. They helped tie the whole look together by bringing in the party’s colors (bright green, yellow, blue and white) while also drawing the eye upwards. Overall, the polka dot garlands gave the table a fun finished look – my advice, the tiny details are important! The garlands were easy to make (check out my tutorial below), and they look great with many of our other Mad Scientist Laboratory Halloween Ideas, too! Looking for a ready-made background for your party table? Our Halloween Lab Theme Banner is a fun alternative.
- 2-3 sheets of paper in each color (blue, green, yellow)
- 6 sheets of white cardstock
- 1 1/2 inch circle paper punch
- Sewing machine with white thread
- Brown craft paper
- First, I cut circles from craft paper and cardstock using the punch. I ended up cutting twice as many white circles because of the pattern I used for the garlands. (Two white circles and then a color circle.)
- I put the circles off to the side and then cut long 2-inch wide strips of brown craft paper, which I used as backing for the circles when I began to sew.
- To make the garlands, I sewed the circles onto the brown craft paper, leaving one to two inches between each circle. (I used about 15 per garland.)
- After the garland was 5-6 feet long, I cut the thread, and ripped the brown craft paper off of the garland.
- I hung the garlands by just putting a piece of duct tape on the back of the top circle and sticking it to the wall. They did a great job hiding the tape I used to hang the green plastic sheet, giving the backdrop a polished look.
Have fun making your own DIY decorations, and don't forget to take a peek at my other detailed posts on this amazing Halloween Lab Theme Party: