One of the iconic symbols of the Olympic Games is the flaming torch, and for my Olympics party this year, I wanted to incorporate this symbol into my party décor. To keep my decorating budget small, I was looking for a low cost (and easy) way to put DIY Olympic torches on my tables and buffet. In the end, I came up with two different torches that, when paired together, make for some impressive Olympics swag. Follow my simple how-to below to make them, and then take a peek at our Winter Olympics party for more decorating inspiration.
Materials (makes 2 large/2 small torches)
- Two clear plastic cups
- Two tall gold gift bags
- 4 sheets yellow tissue paper
- 4 sheets red tissue paper
- 1 roll orange tulle
- Silver spray paint
- Spray paint the two clear cups silver, and allow them to dry for 1-2 hours.
- On a table, layer one sheet yellow tissue paper, one sheet red tissue paper, and several lengths of tulle (20” long). Grab the layers in the center, bunch it together, and fluff the paper and tulle out.
- Place the bunch in the cup, and arrange the paper and tulle until you are satisfied with the look.
- Repeat the same process with the other cup and with the two gold gift bags. In the end, you should have 2 large and 2 small torches to use as decorations.