Jasmin asked the Party Girl, “My birthday is this month, and I am only inviting 6 girls, but I don't have any ideas. I need a few pointers on what I can do. Also, I love sparkles and bling. So please could you send me about 10 ideas I could do? I don't want to go to the movies or bowling. I need something fun and exciting, but on a budget.”
A Sweet 16 is an important birthday, but that doesn’t mean you have to break the bank spending a lot of money to have a good time! If your guest list is short, you can make a small budget go a long way. For a small group of girls, try hosting a spa themed sleepover party by setting up a spa of your own right in your home! Use a few of my 10 budget-friendly tips below, and check out the Bachelorette Spa Party Ideas that helped inspire this post, too.
- Spa Party Invitation: Purchase craft paper in your party’s colors. Make sure that one side is decorative (patterned or glittered) and the other is white. Cut the craft paper in the shape of spa masks. On the white side of the invite, write your party info. Add coordinating ribbon to either end of the mask as “ties”. You could also create invites in the shape of a nail polish bottle, too!
- Mani/Pedi Station: Pamper your guests by setting up a manicure and pedicure station. Instead of just piling supplies in the center of a table (like at a normal sleepover), make sure your station looks like a spa. Neatly arrange clean nail polish bottles, files, fake nail kits, etc. on trays and create a tented sign that says “Mani and Pedi Station”. Hopefully, most of the main/pedi supplies you already own, but don’t be afraid to ask your friends to bring their favorite nail polishes, too. You might also decide to purchase a gel nail kit to use for the special occasion. Don't forget the sparkles and the bling for your nails!
- Facial and Makeup Station: Set up a second station (perhaps in a different room) for facials and makeup. Again, use trays to neatly organize materials. Include some special items your guests might not normally use. You can purchase mud masks on the cheap at many beauty supply stores as well as fake eyelashes, crystals for eye makeup, etc. Plus, slice up some cucumbers as a cheap way to splurge during the facials. Set a small budget for this table, and purchase a wide selection of fun makeup options your friends may never have tried before.
- Spa Party Decorations: Low-budget decorations are easy to come by. Put odd numbers of balloons in your colors (pink and silver, for example) at each focal point (the mani/pedi station, facial station, and buffet). Put plastic covers in your colors on each table, and scatter silver star confetti everywhere. To give your event a certain spa feel, light votive and pillar candles at each station. Play calming music as well, like nature sounds.
- Spa Party Menu and Snacks: Take your menu tips from the spas themselves by setting out a fruit, cheese and cracker platter for guests to munch on when they arrive. Later, serve finger sandwiches and light desserts (like pastry) along with the cake and ice cream. If your friends get a little hungry later in the evening, you can always break down and order the stand by, pizza!
- Mock-tails: Even though you can’t serve alcohol at your event, there’s no reason why you can’t enjoy a few mock-tails, like at a real spa! Serve sparkling grape juice in champagne glasses when your friends arrive, drink non-alcoholic sangria as you do nails, and finish off the night with virgin strawberry daiquiris.
- Dress Your Guests: On your invites, make sure to tell guests to dress in their spa best! Recommend they bring their comfiest robes, pajamas, and slippers. Once they arrive, however, make each of your friends feel special by decking them out in feather boas and tiaras. Guests will be more likely to have fun and participate if they feel like they’re part of the action!
- Spa Party Game: Give your party some energy by playing this fun game! Split your guests into 2-3 teams, and give each one a roll of toilet paper. They have five minutes to create a beautiful toilet paper dress on one of their teammates. Have a fashion show and a panel of judges to choose winners afterwards!
- Spa Themed Breakfast: Breakfast is often forgotten at sleepover parties after everyone groggily heads home after a late night. Make sure this doesn’t happen at your Sweet 16 by offering a delicious spread. You might decide to serve Belgian waffles with a variety of fruit toppings or made to order omelets. Make sure you recruit one or both of your parents to be the chefs!
- Spa Party Favors: Send your friends home with something to remember your Sweet 16. Since you have a small guest list, make your favors personal. Give each of them a small gift bag with a bottle of nail polish and nail file. (This can be done cheaply!) Include a personal note in each one, thanking them for coming.
Good luck designing your Spa Themed Sweet 16, Jasmin, and make sure to take a look at our other Sweet 16 Party Ideas for theme, decoration, activity, and menu inspiration!