As the 2014 Winter Olympics quickly approaches, I’ve started to plan how I want to celebrate this “once every four years” event. While I won’t be making the trip to Sochi, I do plan on watching the opening ceremonies and events with my family and friends from the warmth of my cozy couch. If you’re hosting a Winter Olympics party like I am, there are dozens of ways to make your event special.
Apart from decorating my home with Olympics inspired gear, I’m also planning on decorating my guests! I’ve created an Olympics laurel wreath party crown for each one to put on as they walk in the door. Laurel wreath crowns were worn by ancient Greek victors and are still given to modern Olympic athletes today, so they make a great addition to any Olympics themed party. After following my how-to on how to make your one Olympics party hats, make sure to take a look at our Olympics Party Invitations and Favors to complete your party planning!
- Green fabric
- 2 stems fake floral leaves
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine and thread
- Measuring tape
- To determine the size of the hat band, measure the wearer’s head with a measuring tape or guess the approximate size.
- Next, cut out a strip of green cloth 3 inches wide with the length that was measured (I used leftover green felt from a previous project).
- Fold the fabric in half, and sew down the length of the band. Then, turn the band right side out, and then sew the two ends together to make a complete circle.
- Cut individual leaves off the floral stem, and arrange them around the headband, securing with straight pins as you go.
- Using a sewing machine, sew around the headband, attaching the leaves securely. Remove any excess strings.