These seashell tea light candles were a fun favor as well as party decor at a recent summer party I had for my co-workers (all English teachers!). Pull out these tea lights during your annual clambake as gifts to remind your guests of a warm summer night, or scatter them among tables on a sunset beach. Try these other Clambake Party Ideas to make your summer last just a little bit longer, too!
For Seashell Tea Lights (Burn time: two hours)
- ½-1 pound of unscented candle wax
- Candle wicks with metal bases
- Washed seashells (collect from the beach or buy a bag from the dollar store)
- Glass measuring cup (be willing to throw it away after completing the project)
- Small pot
- Wax paper
For Seashell Tea Light Favors
- Cellophane favor bags
- Basket filler
- Off white cardstock
- Paper punches (I used a large circle for the note and a palm tree for confetti.)
- Small seashells
For Seashell Tea Lights
- In the small pot, boil two inches of water. Cut your wax into small chunks and put it into the glass measuring cup. Put the measuring cup in the boiling water, and allow the wax to melt.
- While the wax is melting, set out your seashells on a sheet of wax paper. Cut your wicks to about two inches and place one in each shell.
- Once the wax is melted, pour a small amount into each seashell, covering the wick base. Allow the wax to set for 1 hour.
Tips for Seashell Tea Light Favors
- Include confetti and small seashells as additional filler.
- Make sure to include a small note thanking your guests.
- Use cellophane bags with adhesive backing so the favors are easy to open and close.