Fifty. A milestone. The big 5-0h! (no). Fifty is Nifty. Still up to speed at 50. Fifty if Fabulous! Do you want me to continue? I've heard them all. The best thing about these 50th birthday party ideas is that if you choose one for a theme, you can find plates, cups, napkins, guest towels and who knows what else emblazoned with the saying of choice. Kind of like "over the hill." For a few brief moments, the over the hill theme became passé, but alas it has returned in full force.
Wnat something more unique? Me too. Here are my top five ways I would celebrate turning 50!
1. 50's Diner Theme - Oh yeah. I'd send everyone an old 45 as an invitation (gluing over the label with the necessary info). I'd use checkered cloths and put those silver napkin holders and those silver things that hold the old style salt and pepper, ketchup and mustard (available at any restaurant supply and cheap, too) on the tables as centerpieces. I'd play 50's music, and I'd serve hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries with cheese and gravy all in those red plastic baskets. I'm excited thinking about it. Last, and certainly not least, I'd have a bar, but next to it, I'd have a milkshake bar. Yum.
2. 80's theme - Lived through the 80's and enjoyed it? Well, the Material Girl (Madonna) was at her height of fame. Cindy Lauper was lauping about. Girls just wanted to have fun. People were "Footloose!" I'd have everyone dress 80's and turn my party room into a dance club with cheesy lights, 80's music, posters of all the 80's great rock stars and films. 80's theme party ideas... fun and easy.
3. Fiesta - There's a couple reasons for this. Fiestas are fun, fiestas are inexpensive to host, fiestas have great beer and dips (taco chips are not high in fat), I can beat a birthday piñata with a stick and finally, I would get to have a lifesize cut out of a burro/ass with a lifesize cut out of me next to its behind saying, "you bet your ass I'm 50!" Plus, there are tons of Fiesta Party Supplies out there to make decorating easy. What more is there?
4. Fifty - What a great play on words. I would take every song title, movie title, phrase and more that has 50 in it and theme it out. Worried there won't be enough? My invitation would announce "I'm no cliche, but I am 50." Then I would surprise them with all of the below...on cocktail napkins, seating cards, centerpieces, even in the restrooms: 50 Ways to Leave your Lover, 50 First Dates, 50/50, 50 is nifty...and make up a few of my own...like "don't trust anyone under 50," "50 is the next 40," so on and so forth.
5. 50 Shades of Grey - Ok. It's popular, timely and can mean anything you want. I think I'd spell grey with an "a" though. More appropriate to the situation if you're thinking hair, and I am sure you are (right?). Use every color gray imaginable for linens, napkins, cocktail napkins, votive candles, invite and more. Turning fifty is a gray area since, of course, you are only as old as you feel. Only you know the shades of gray you are experiencing as this birthday approaches, but you might want to let people guess...and then again...
Remember...50 is only a number...wow-- that's another great theme!
The Party Girl