Oh, who am I kidding? I love the competition. I love the patriotism. And, I love the chance to throw a good party!
It’s great, of course, to throw an American theme patriotic Olympics party (we have lots of Summer Olympics Party Ideas on Party411.com), but why not switch it up a bit? How about serving traditional British foods since these Olympic games will be held in London? Here are some great options for your British Olympics buffet! (Keep in mind I don’t know how to make ANY of this. That might be my next project.)
- Fish and Chips – Battered and fried fish with a side of chips (French fries) – yum!
- Kippers – basically salted or picked herring. I’m sure it’s delicious…
- Yorkshire pudding – I’m going to have to try this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/yorkshire-pudding-recipe/index.html - a great looking side dish
- Bangers and Mash – sausage and mashed potatoes – perfect for a dinner
- Cornish Pastry – a pie made of beef, potatoes and onions, amongst other delicious ingredients!
Don’t forget the dessert, or “pudding” as it’s often called in London! Here are some delicious options:
- Tea and Biscuits – offer an assortment of teas, biscuits and jams for a lovely tea theme with your dessert
- Spotted Dick – besides the wonderful name, this is a wonderful tasting pudding with dried fruit
- Trifles – a layered sponge cake with custards and fruit
- Bread and butter pudding – another recipe I’m going to try: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bread-and-butter-pudding-recipe/index.html
Also, you’ll want some authentic candy. There are plenty of sweet options available online. (http://www.britishfood.com/confectionary.asp has great candy!)
And to drink? Ale, British, of course. Newcastle and Bass are great choices!
Man, I’m starving now…