This year for my son’s 6th birthday, we decided to go with a totally different theme for his party. He loves the author Mo Willems and his pigeon theme books. (We love “Don’t let the pigeon drive the bus!) So, we decided to have a “Don’t Let the Pigeon go to the Birthday Party” Mo Willems birthday party.
For décor at the party, we went with a blue and orange theme to coordinate with the book. Here’s what I created:
- Mo Willems theme confetti with small punched out pictures of the characters from all his books
- Pigeon’s on a stick cutouts for the kids to play with – a big hit!
- A small cutout (thank you Party411.com!) of the pigeon wishing Sam a happy birthday
For favors, I found art kits (on super sale before Christmas) and created themed work books. Mo Willems offers great free pdfs for parents and teachers planning Mo Willems teaching events, so I was able to use his art and puzzles for the books.
I have to say, this was my favorite birthday party yet. The kids have read so much Mo Willems in school that they were all thrilled to see the décor and loved the favors. I love planning a birthday party my kids will love and that will make them feel special. This one certainly fit the bill.
My younger son’s birthday is next month. Another bird theme – this time Angry Birds. Stay tuned.
- Kid's Birthday Party Ideas from Party411
- Kid's Birthday Party Invitations
- Kid's Birthday Party Games