I have an almost-four year old for whom the sun rises and sets with Sesame Street! There is no other TV show worth watching (my apologies to Dora and Arthur). So when it came time to plan his birthday party, it was a no brainer – a Sesame Street party was the only choice! The party itself was easy to plan, craft, games, cake an Elmo piñata, but the party bags took a little more thought. I am not a fan of party bags filled with junk. I don’t think that every bag needs to be educational, but it doesn’t have to be “sugar shock” waiting to happen either. After bit of thought, and consultation with my son, here is a list of fun favors bearing the birthday child’s seal of approval – an honor not easily earned!
Young children love alliteration and mine is no different. Therefore, we tried very hard to assign a Sesame Street character’s name to each item and then placed a small label on it. This took a few extra minutes but was such a big hit that it was well worth it.
- Big Bird Bubbles
- Bert’s Bouncing Balls
- Curly Bear Crayons and Coloring Books
- Snuffy’s Stickers
- Ernie’s Rubber Ducky
- The Count’s Cards – simple card games like Old Maid or Go Fish are great and often come as 4 decks packaged together making them an economical purchase too.
- Cookie Monster’s Cookies – buy or bake a Cookie Monster shaped cookie, or include a cookie cutter and small jar of Play Dough to go with it.
- Oscar’s Trash Can Candy – novelty candy stores sell tiny trash cans filled with candy. They’re very cute and certainly stick with the theme.
- Grover’s Groovy Games – small, handheld games that imitate pinball machines, race tracks or mazes are always great.
As an extra special treat, add a Sesame Street character finger puppet to the bag! The children will think they’re tons of fun and play with them long after the party is over.
You have plenty of cute options for what to put your favors in. Here are a few fun ones I came across while gathering my ideas:
I spotted these cute diy bags on Be Festive.
I am not artisitc enough to pull these off, but the pails are really fun! Seen on babylifestyles.