The other day my neighbor and best friend calls bursting with enthusiasm. “I am so excited,” she said. “We are going to have a neighborhood Halloween party this year. Someplace for parents to hang out while their kids trick or treat or for kids to come and take a break. It won’t be anything fancy, just easy and fun.” I thought great, easy, fun, I can do that. And then she said, “and you are in charge of drinks!” Hmmm, not as easy as opening yet another bag of candy but not so terrible either. Just as I was about to say “I’ll just get juice boxes and bottled water,” she said “but it has to be more than juice boxes and bottled water.” A little annoyed, but resigned to sticking to my goal of simple and fun, I created a delicious blood curdling brew, appealing to creatures of all ages and dripping with taste.
I started with a quick trip to the grocery store for
- Two 12 ounce cans of fruit punch
- One liter bottle of ginger ale
- One half gallon of raspberry sherbet (choose sorbet if you are concerned about dairy allergies
- Red food coloring
Make the fruit punch according to the directions on the can and place in the punchbowl. Add the ginger ale and stir well. Add sherbet and a few drops of food coloring just before serving.
If Halloween is your holiday and you want to put a bit more effort into this bloody beverage, here are two ideas.
- Purchase a small block of dry ice.
- Take a small plastic container and punch several holes in the lid.
- Put the dry ice in the container and place the container in the punch bowl. Instant spooky mist – very cool - literally! (Note: Dry ice burns skin quickly so do not handle it with bare hands.)
- Put on a latex glove and thoroughly wash your hands with dish soap and water.
- Rinse well and turn the glove inside out so the just washed side is on the inside.
- Fill the glove with water and tie off the end.
- Freeze completely.
- Remove the glove, drip a few drops of red food coloring on the frozen hand and place it in the center of the punch bowl.
Your punch is now literally dripping with blood. Happy Halloween!