Saturday September 25th is National One-Hit Wonder Day, and what a great party theme! Everyone loves a great music theme party. If you want to do a specific decade of music, we have ideas for 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's parties in our Music Theme Parties section. But whether you do a specific decade or not, One-Hit Wonder Day definitely deserves a karaoke party!
So here are a few of our best tips for an enjoyable karaoke party.
- Music. A list of VH1’s One-Hit Wonders is a great place to start. Make a playlist and have it playing while your guests arrive. The dancing and frivolity will start right away.
- Equipment. A karaoke machine is necessary. However, if you want to make your party legendary, get a smoke machine. (Make sure your venue can handle it.) Your guests will love this added touch.
- Costumes. When you invite everyone ask them to dress up as their favorite rock star or one hit wonder, or band manager or even a groupie! Think of it as a tune up for Halloween.
- Cameras. If you have a smoke machine and everyone is dressed in costume, you have to take pictures. You owe it to yourself to capture all of this on film. Of course, no video capturing! You want everyone to sing their hearts out and don’t want them to be self conscience.
- Liquid Courage. Let’s be honest here, not all of us are natural born singers. In fact some of us are terrible. (Put me in that category. I was booed off the stage once. Painful.) A few adult beverages for your guests will help put them in the mood to sing any and every song.
Remember this is a karaoke party so it’s supposed to be fun and good natured. Enjoy a few music party games before the singing starts to get the party started. Remember, I’d rather be a one-hit wonder than a no hitter.