I was recently in Pittsburgh for a silver anniversary birthday party. It was hot much like the rest of the United States, so we ended up having an awesome summer pool party. There were a few things that really made this party great, so I complied them in a handy dandy checklist to help make your summer party a success too.
- Food. Plan ahead and make sure there is food available to your guests. It’s hot out and people are hungry. Also do you want people dripping wet walking around your house scavenging for food? No, you don’t. Bring a few snacks down to the pool for your guests to enjoy.
- Beverages. Plan ahead for your guests, as some will want alcoholic beverages and others want juice. We rolled a cooler to the side of the pool for easy access. For those drinking alcoholic beverages don’t forget it’s hot out. We had water bottles floating around the pool to help stave off dehydration.
- Towels. Nobody likes sharing wet towels. Nobody. Make sure everyone has a towel and that it’s their responsibility to keep it for the day.
- Pool rules. If it’s your house, set your own pool rules. If you don’t want people diving into the pool, or running around set the rules before anyone jumps in. Also make sure people know where the deep end is. Some pools have the deep end in the middle, which can be confusing to people unfamiliar with your setup.
- Make sure your party is a "splash" by providing the proper pool accessories. We brought out some footballs, so we can all be Jerry Rice as we make dramatic catches. Volleyballs are also good fun, because everyone loves a good water volleyball game. And you can’t forget floating devices. There is nothing like floating in the water and enjoying the summer weather. For those people taking a break from the water, set up a variety of outdoor party games.
Remember the real key; the absolute best way to enjoy a summer pool party is the weather. A sunny hot day is perfect. So get out there and lounge and enjoy this hot summer weather!