To all of the new graduates out there, congrats! (For all of those who have not yet graduated or thrown their party, check out our graduation party ideas for all your graduation party needs!) Back to the graduates; we hate to burst your bubble but you are not done. You have to write your thank you notes. I know these are painful, but frankly it’s something that has to be done. So I want to share some tips I picked up through my experience both writing and commiserating with my buds.
- Make a list. I know this sounds simple, but make a list of exactly what you received and from whom. When opening gifts your floor will turn into a collage of wrapping paper and gift certificates and presents.
- Start writing quickly. Nobody expects a thank you within a day, but nobody wants to wait 6 months for a thank you. This is a common courtesy, and you are a graduate now, which means you’re responsible.
- Don’t use cookie cutter messages. Your guests spent a lot of time thinking about a gift for you. Do the same in your response.
- And continuing from 3, write from the heart. I was surprised to see some of my thank you notes on display when I went to visit. Your guests will appreciate and enjoy your honesty. It will also avoid an awkward situation if you use cookie cutter responses.
- If you received a gift certificate and do not know what you are going to use it for, don’t lie. Be honest and say you are not sure what you plan on using it for. When you do use the gift card though, a simple call or email to let them know would be a nice touch. If you do know, by all means let them know. They will love knowing what their gift was used on.
- You have a list, set an order. I know this sounds terrible, but it’s probably more important that the grandparents receive a thank you before Joe from down the street.
- Also keep in mind; these thank yous are going to be time consuming. So set a few hours aside each day to get them done in a timely manner. This will keep your mind fresh which will lead to better, more thoughtful thank you notes.
We are not going to lie, writing thank you notes, and a lot of them, is challenging. But it is something which must be done. Your guests were gracious enough to give you a gift; you should be gracious as well. If you are getting stuck remember: you are a graduate, and congratulations.