I love celebrating my nieces’ and nephews’ birthdays! They are still so young (all of them under 3!), and each birthday is a new surprise where they get to be the center of attention. My little niece Lily is turning three next week, and her mother is hosting a Teddy Bear Birthday Party! Because I’m the auntie with all the best Kids Birthday Party Ideas, I knew I just had to make these adorable teddy bear party hats as my contribution to the festivities!
They were easy to make (all I needed to know were a few simple sewing techniques), and I’m sure these party hats will last for years to come in everyone’s dress up bins. Plus, my baby niece Lizzy loved this hat (see pic above) - wouldn't these be great 1st Birthday Theme Party Ideas, too? Follow my tutorial below to make your own easy headbands, and take a look at our Personalized Kids Party Invitations and Kids Party Favors to coordinate your party’s look!
Materials (makes one party hat)
- 1-2 sheets brown felt
- 1 sheet tan felt
- 1 plastic headband
- Dark brown embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
- A little poly-fil (for the ears!)
- Cut out four half circles from the dark brown felt. (These will be your ears!) Next, cut two smaller half circles from the tan felt.
- Using the brown embroidery floss, use a straight stitch to attach each of the tan half circles to one of the brown half-circles. These will be the front of your ears.
- Next, put the ear pieces together, wrong sides facing each other. Use a blanket stitch (see tutorial here) around the curved bit to attach the pieces. (For right now leave the bottom of the ears open.) You should have two ears ready to go! Lay these off to the side.
- Then, cut a long strip about 1 ½” wide to wrap around the headband. The length of this strip will depend on the size of your headband. I actually needed two strips (about 18” in length total) to make it all the way around mine.
- Lay your strip(s) flat and fold it around the headband. Using a straight stitch, work around the inside of the headband until it is completely encased in felt.
- Finally, fill each of the ears with poly-fil, and then position the ears where you like on the headband. Wrap the bottom straight edges of one ear around the headband, and sew them together with a straight stitch so the ear is attached to the headband. Repeat this with the other ear, and you’re done!
Have fun planning your little one's party, and Happy Birthday from the Party Girl!