I know that’s a tough headline, but I mean it. Decorating your guests means more fun for them and a lot more fun when you look back at all those photos when the party’s over... Or WAIT! You might find yourself named as the best host/ess ever on Facebook or Instagram. Well, that’s bueno, no?
Anyway…here are my favorite things for forcing your guests to celebrate Cinco de Mayo!
- Sombreros, first and foremost. Regular or neon! In fact, buy them by the dozen and save money. Use the leftovers as centerpieces, filled with taco chips (with salsa on the side). Chances are they’ll be wearing the centerpieces as soon as the Mexican beer is tapped.
- Red hot chili pepper hats. Ok, I know, it’s another hat but it’s better than a lampshade (and you always have one guest who would if they could). Plus, if they are into the Red Hot Chili Peppers, maybe you can get them to audition in front of everyone. Now, that’s entertainment.
- Beads. What celebration is complete without beads? None. I have beads from parties hanging off every lamp and doorknob in my house. Some with nametags attached, some without. I keep them. I don’t know why. Reminder of good times? Nah. Just can’t throw anything away. Choose from metallic chili pepper beads, beads with a red pepper hanging from them or a large mustache bead necklace (for one bad amigo)—especially perfect with those sombreros mentioned above!
- Tequila Sunrise Glasses. You don’t need a pair for everyone, but a few pairs to pass around would be great fun. Looking through a margarita with a lemon wedge would make any party great no matter whether you’re using them as specs or watching as a spectator.
- Finally, and last but not least, decorate yourself. You think I’m kidding. Oh no. Guests know their host/ess has gone all out when they answer the door at Cinco de Mayo dressed as a taco, one of the three amigos or a Spanish dancer. Don’t have that much nerve? Wear a poncho. I’ll forgive you.
If you don’t have the budget for all of the above, remember, almost everyone has a camera in his or her phones these days. Set up a place for photos with everything possible they can wear as props…the pix will be fantastic and they’ll have them forevermore!
The Party Girl